Nationals update from Athletics New Zealand
In our update after the government announcement on Saturday evening, we confirmed that with Auckland at Alert Level 3 and the rest of the country at Alert Level 2 until Sunday 7 March, the Jennian Homes New Zealand Track and Field Championships would not be able to proceed on 5-7 March in Hawke’s Bay.
It is unfortunately not possible to hold an event of this size under those alert level restrictions.
We are continuing to consider several options in terms of the hosting of these championships but can confirm our strong preference is for the event to be postponed and held in late March.
In order for that to be possible though, there are a number of logistical challenges that need to be overcome. We are currently working with the venue, the local organising committee, the regional centres, the Athletics NZ Athletes’ Commission, our officials, accommodation providers in Hawke’s Bay and others to ensure we are able to make a fully-informed decision.
We will provide a further update as soon as we can.
In the meantime, we appreciate your patience and urge all our members to please follow government advice and stay safe.